Walnut And Sour Cream Cake
Who doesn’t like dessert with nuts, right? So this walnut and sour cream cake recipe is for everyone. Maybe I should say that this cake has so much walnuts in it, it’s the best. I like any cake or dessert with nuts, so I like this one too, of course. I think you will like this cake too, so follow me in its making.
Walnut And Sour Cream Cake
You will need to prepare a dough, a cream filling and some chocolate glaze to decorate the cake. Put you know that most of the cakes have the same steps, so let’s get started.
Ingredients for the dough
- 6 eggs;
- 150 g sugar;
- 250 g walnuts (ground);
- pinch of salt;
- 2 teaspoons pomelo powder or some lemon zest(optional).
Preparation of the dough
- Preheat the oven at 210 °C .
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Mix the egg whites with the pinch of salt.
- Add the sugar and mix until the foam becomes glossy and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the egg yolks to the foam and mix until you incorporate them.
- Add the walnuts and lemon zest and mix everything with a spatula together.
- Pour the mixture in a standard cooking pan(a large one) lined with baking paper. Stretch the composition to cover the whole pan, shake the pan slightly.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until passes the toothpick test.
- When the dough is baked let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Then slightly separate the baking paper from the bottom(but don’t remove the baking paper).
- Cut the edges, then cut the dough with the baking paper too in 2 unequal pieces(I cut one width of 18 cm and one 10 cm). The dimensions depend on the tray in which you will assemble the cake.
Now we can start making the cream for this walnut and sour cream cake. You start your cream just when you are ready to assemble the cake.
Ingredients for the cream
- 200 g liquid whipped cream(30% fat);
- 190 g sour cream (12 % fat);
- 60 g sugar;
- 60 g whole walnut kernel;
- 5 g gelatin granules (Dr Oetker);
- 25 ml water.
Preparation of the cream
- Bake the walnut kernels in a pan or in the oven for a few minutes them cut them, but not too small.
- Hydrate the gelatin in the water over a bain-marie then let it cool, while you are making the whipped cream.
- Mix the whipped cream with the sugar until it gains volume and becomes aerated.
- Add the sour cream and the gelatin and mix well together everything.
Now you have to assemble the cake. Put the larger piece of the dough complete with the baking paper (because otherwise it breaks) in a loaf pan. Put half of the cream over the dough, then the walnut kernels, then the rest of the cream. Cover it with the small part of the dough and leave it in the fridge for 3 hours.
After the 3 hours put a plate over the pan and carefully overturn the cake. Remove the baking paper and glaze it and add some walnut kernels on top. Remember that the dough is without flour so it breaks easily. So work carefully for that to not happen. Let me know if you liked this walnut and sour cream cake. Bon Appétit!